Oxfam is closely watching the outcome of Novartis’ endless and highly
damaging challenge to Section 3(d) of India’s Patent Act. We are profoundly disappointed that Novartis has continued to pursue legal action against the Indian Government. Five years ago, hundreds of thousands of people called upon Novartis to drop its legal challenge against the Indian. Today, over 2 billion people still lack regular access to affordable medicines, and yet Novartis has persisted. Oxfam is seriously concerned that if Novartis succeeds, it will lead to long term and profound changes in India’s patent system that will undermine generic competition and access to affordable,low-cost medicines.
- U.S. wants patent form recall
- Will the Trump tariffs on China raise drug prices for Americans?
- Dutch hospital challenges big pharma by making own version of very pricey drug
- India’s ailing battle against TB: One in five multidrug-resistant patients do not complete treatment
- Why do new medicines cost so much, and what can we do about it?