Oxfam is closely watching the outcome of Novartis’ endless and highly
damaging challenge to Section 3(d) of India’s Patent Act. We are profoundly disappointed that Novartis has continued to pursue legal action against the Indian Government. Five years ago, hundreds of thousands of people called upon Novartis to drop its legal challenge against the Indian. Today, over 2 billion people still lack regular access to affordable medicines, and yet Novartis has persisted. Oxfam is seriously concerned that if Novartis succeeds, it will lead to long term and profound changes in India’s patent system that will undermine generic competition and access to affordable,low-cost medicines.
- Swiss drugmaker Roche launches costliest cancer drugs in India
- $750/pill pharma company reverses decision to lower drug price
- Big Pharma owes a debt to society
- Secretary-General Appoints Two Former Presidents, 14 Others as Members of High-Level Panel on Access to Medicines
- More than 15m people on life-saving HIV drugs – not enough, says MSF